From Our Editors
La Lombarda was opened in 1922 by Joe and Nan Birnie, who came from Italy's northern region of Lombardy. The restaurant survived World War Two and was run by the Birnies until 1999, when George and Theresa Wyatt took over. Based in the historic area of Castlegate, they serve traditional Italian cuisine of pasta, pizza, meat and seafood dishes, mainly sourced from local suppliers. They aim to provide a friendly and relaxed atmosphere for guests, and have two function areas able to hold large groups for parties.