Experience a crash course in archaeology and a guided tour at the British Museum with an archaeologist
What You'll Get
- What’s included: tour of the British Museum | ancient board games | break for lunch | learn the science of archaeology | hieroglyphs and more
- Departure time: 10 a.m.
- Departure location: Russel Square tube station
- Duration approximately 5 hours 30 minutes (including lunch break)
- Free admission for children under 5
- Additional information: museum entrance is free | step-free accessible | service animals allowed | near public transportation | transportation is step-free accessible
- Exclusions: food and drinks, gratuities
Follow in the footsteps of the great archaeologists, relic hunters and explorers who acquired the treasures of the British Museum, and learn about their adventures and the hazards they braved to make their astounding discoveries.
Guests will unlock the secrets of the British Museum’s collection with a qualified archaeologist, getting to grips with the history civilisation, exploring the earliest origins in Africa, to the great ancient empires. Along the way, visitors will tour the British Museum’s most famous galleries, including Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece and Rome, the Vikings and the Aztecs, discovering world-famous artefacts such as the Rosetta Stone, the Parthenon Marbles and the Lewis Chessmen.
During the tour, participants will learn the basics of Egyptian hieroglyphs and try their hand at writing own name in them. Get the chance to play one of the world’s most ancient board games, The Royal Game of Ur, whose rules were deciphered by British Museum scholars.
The Fine Print
About Spirit of Discovery
Spirit of Discovery offers a selection of tours of London's museums, galleries and monuments. The itinerary of the tours has been designed to give the tour-goers insight into world history. It is also possible to book any of the available tours as a private tour for a smaller group.