2000 years ago this was a frontier, a place where two cultures collided. Your guide can happily weave a narrative from both the Roman perspective and the native perspective, providing both viewpoints.
The Romans always intended to conquer Britain. Julius Caesar wrote about the riches of the British Isles... and also of giants and monsters. While Caesar made initial contact with the peoples of Britain, a full scale invasion would take another 90 years. Political turmoil in Rome was the catalyst for the new emperor, Claudius to bring his forces to the shores of Britain, changing the country forever.
About This Deal
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Cawfields Roman Wall, 1 1/4 miles N of Haltwhistle, off B6318, Haltwhistle England
On this Hadrians Wall guided tour, you will see a Milecastle, and one of the best preserved sections of the Vallum defence ditch. Cawfields also boasts some of the best views across the rugged moorland vistas of the Northumberland National Park.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Vindolanda Vindolanda Bardon Mill, Hexham NE47 7JG England
Vindolanda is one of the best preserved Roman forts in Europe. Entry into Vindolanda is included in your ticket price.
Duration: 2 hours
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- • Opportunities to view a Milecastle, exceptionally well-preserved parts of Hadrian's Wall
- Entry/Admission - Vindolanda
Pennine Way, Haltwhistle NE49, UK
4 hours 30 minutes
Vindolanda, Hexham NE47 7JN, UK
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Ancient Britain in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.