Take a day out from York on your own private tour to explore the North York Moors National Park and Whitby, passing by the famous Kilburn White Horse hill figure and visiting the market town of Helmsley, the village of Goathland (Heartbeat and Harry Potter filming location) and the fishing port of Whitby. See Whitby Abbey (inspiration for the Dracula books), visit the Captain Cook Museum, shop for some Whitby Jet or Gothic Fashion or sample Fish 'n' Chips from the famous Magpie Cafe. Enjoy personal attention from your guide on this private minicoach tour, for any group size up to a maximum of 15.
What You'll Get
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: White Horse of Kilburn, Sutton Bank Visitor Centre, Thirsk YO7 2EY England
Our first stop is at the Kilburn White Horse hill figure on the boundary of the North York Moors National Park, where your guide will tell you the story of how it was carved into the hillside in 1857.
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: Helmsley Castle Castlegate, Helmsley YO62 5AB England
We then stop in the picturesque market town of Helmsley where you can view the medieval castle, explore the quaint shops or just have a leisurely Yorkshire Brew in one of the cafes – the choice is yours!
Duration: 45 minutes
Stop At: Farndale (North York Moors National Park), Hutton-Le-Hole, High Bentham England
After Helmsley, we head off through Hutton-le-Hole into the heart of the North York Moors National Park for some photo stops, passing the 16th century Lion Inn on Blakey Ridge (the highest point on the Moors) and Ralph’s Cross, then stop in the quaint and picturesque Yorkshire village of Lealholm to see the stepping stones over the River Esk – a great photo opportunity! It is then just a short journey into Whitby, whilst hearing stories about the seaside town’s history from your guide who will also tell you about the main places of interest that you may want to visit.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Stop At: Whitby Harbour, Endeavour Wharf, Whitby YO21 1DN England
As you arrive in Whitby, there will be a brief stop at the Captain Cook Statue and Whalebone Arch on the West Cliff then alternative drop-offs at the Harbour or Whitby Abbey, if you want to start your visit there to avoid having to climb the 199 steps! You will have three hours free time in Whitby, with options to visit Whitby’s newest attraction, The Endeavour Experience (one of only two full-size replicas of the HM Bark Endeavour in existence), the Captain Cook Museum, take the Bark Endeavour scale replica boat trip around the harbour, view Whitby Abbey (inspiration for the Dracula Books) or just explore the shops and market of the seaside town and experience Fish & Chips from the famous Magpie Café – the choice is yours!
Duration: 3 hours
Stop At: Goathland Station, Yo22 5nf, Goathland, North York Moors National Park England
You will arrive in the picture-postcard village of Goathland (filming location for “Aidensfield” in the Heartbeat television series and “Hogsmeade” in the Harry Potter Movies) where you can explore the filming locations, or maybe just grab an ice cream from the village store – the choice is yours!
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: The Hole of Horcum, North York Moors National Park England
We leave Goathland for our final stop to enjoy the stunning views at the Hole of Horcum before heading back to York.
Duration: 5 minutes
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Minimum age is 4 years
- Children under 4 years can be accepted on private tours, on the condition that the customer brings a suitable Child Car Seat with them
- Collapsible wheelchairs can be accommodated providing the passenger is accompanied by someone who can assist them board and disembark
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Some visitor attractions, including the NY Moors Railway, close between November - March. During this period, the optional train ride is not available and, if weather/road conditions are adverse, the tour may have to follow a different route/itinerary
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- Private tour just for your group
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport by comfortable, air-conditioned minicoach
- Driver/guide provides live commentary
- Regular photo/refreshment/toilet stops
- Train fares for North Yorkshire Moors Railway option
- Entrance fees to other optional attractions
- Food and drinks
- Entry/Admission - Helmsley Castle
Any hotel or other requested location in York
8 hours 15 minutes
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the BOBH - Day Trips from York in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
14-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operator's terms and conditions for this offer here.