Oxford, Bampton and Highclere Castle Tour.
Visiting Highclere Castle is like walking into history.
It is a magnificent example of an English Castle but is now most famous as Downton Abbey in the popular TV series. A Highclere Castle tour is now a popular and interesting experience for fans of history and of the Downton Abbey TV series.
Walking tour of Oxford, home to one of the world's greatest Universities, visit the historic colleges
Visit Bampton Village used for outdoor scenes from the TV series Downton Abbey
Visit Highclere Castle and grounds made famous by the Downton Abbey TV series
A walking tour of Oxford with our guide is included before some free time to grab a bite to eat.
Bampton (Downton Village)
Next, we head for the beautiful village of Bampton in Oxfordshire Bampton is the setting for exterior village scenes in the ITV series of Downton Abbey.
We now visit Highclere and discover an inspiring Highclere Castle.
What You'll Get
Our Downton Abbey Tour begins from Highclere Castle, Berkshire and finishes in Bampton, Oxfordshire.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Please Note: Highclere Castle opens only certain times of the year. This is customers responsibly to book tickets in advance.
- Most travelers can participate
- Dates 2020: April: 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 May: 03, 04, 05, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 24, 25, 26 July: 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 August: Every day except Fridays and Saturdays September: 01, 02, 03, 06,07, 08, 09
- Highclere Castle opening, tours and tickets 2020 Likely opening dates 2020 Despite its popularity Highclere Castle has a limited visitor season. Although dates for Tour 1 to Highclere Castle are as yet unconfirmed for 2020, based on previous years they are likely to be a spring opening around Easter, the two national holidays in May, and most days (except Fridays and Saturdays) from the second week of July through to early September. In addition, there are occasional special event days throughout the year. It is not possible to view Highclere Castle when closed, even for a drop by photo opportunity. Highclere Castle is far from public roads out of view. There are local public footpaths where you can glimpse Highclere Castle from far off.
- Tour itinerary Oxford First stop after around 75 minutes is Oxford, the City of Dreaming Spires, boasts one of the world's greatest - and oldest - universities, as well as some of the finest architecture in Europe. The colleges themselves, which make up the university, are amongst the architectural highlights, their ivy-clad stone walls protecting beautiful chapels, halls and libraries. A walking tour of Oxford with our guide is included before some free time to grab a bite to eat. Bampton (Downton Village) Next we head for the beautiful village of Bampton in Oxfordshire Bampton is the setting for exterior village scenes in the ITV series of Downton Abbey. Visit the church - in real life, St Mary's Church, which played host to a number of memorable weddings funerals and christenings in Downton Abbey. See Matthew Crawley's mother's house, the hospital, (series two) and current people's homes, which are transformed into the Post Office as well as various pubs. In the "hospital", which is the public library, there is also the Vesey room where the Bampton Archive is housed and various local exhibitions are set out. Here you can purchase some Downton mementos of your time in Bampton, such as beautiful cards, prints and mugs (done by a local artist) as well as books of the filming. Highclere Castle (Downton Abbey) Highclere Castle Interior Highclere Castle Interior We now visit Highclere and discover an inspiring Highclere Castle set amidst lawns and gardens of tranquillity and beauty. It has been home to the Carnarvon Family since 1679 and the present Earl and Countess still live here. Long-standing friend of the Carnarvon family, Julian Fellowes had Highclere Castle in mind as he wrote Downton Abbey. He often commented he wanted a house which spectacularly testified to the confidence and soaring optimism of the Edwardian period. Visitors follow a route through the castle though rooms with guides in each State room happy to share anecdotes and information. As well as the castle, you will have time to explore the extensive grounds, designed by Lancelot “Capability” Brown who also designed the grounds of Blenheim Palace. Tea and cake can be taken at one of the tea rooms once you have finished. A signed copy of Lady Carnarvon autobiography will also be given to every customer on the tour. It makes for fascinating reading and is a unique souvenir to remember the day!
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
Heathrow Airport, Hounslow TW6 England
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Cotswold Tours in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.