Hadrian’s Wall, the UNESCO world heritage site and the frontier of the Roman Hadrian’s Wall. Discover the varied lives of the troops stationed on the wall. Starting at Steel Rig we will walk the 2 1/2 miles to the Roman fort of Housesteads. This walk will enable you to see the wall, discover its milecastles and see the wild geography of the frontier. Housesteads is the most complete of Roman forts in Britain and gives you a fantastic view of Roman life on Hadrian’s wall. After visiting the fort we stop for lunch twice brewed where you will be able to enjoy fantastic local food.
We will then proceed to Vindolanda. Vindolanda was a Roman supply base and has been extensively excavated providing us with in-depth information on the people who lived on the wall. This tour is great for those who love history, wish to discover more about the Romans and enjoy country walks.
Please contact us for small groups and solo travelers' options.
About This Deal
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Housesteads Roman Fort - Hadrian's Wall, Haydon Bridge, Hexham NE47 6NN England
Housesteads is a large Roman fort in the centre of Hadrian's wall.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Vindolanda Vindolanda Bardon Mill, Hexham NE47 7JG England
One of the longest archaeological digs in Europe - Vindolanda is a fantastic site that tells the story of the northern frontier that is Hadrian's wall
Duration: 1 hour
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- We require a contact mobile/cell phone for all customers to contact you on the day of your tour. This will ensure we can inform you of changes to the meeting point or other information prior to your tour.
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Please contact us about any disabilities your group may have. We can customise tours for wheelchair and those with vision impairment.
- Due to COVID-19 we ask all customers to maintain social distancing as per the United Kingdom Government guidelines
- For all other COVID-19 information please visit our website.
- Please contact us prior to booking if you have a health condition to discuss the suitability of the tour for you
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- Local guide
- Professional guide
- Entry/Admission - Housesteads Roman Fort - Hadrian's Wall
- Entry/Admission - Vindolanda
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
- Drinks at Lunch time
Steel Rigg Car Park, Henshaw, Northumberland NE47 7AN, UK
1: Vindolanda, Hexham NE47 7JN, UK
2: Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Iles Tours in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.