Hadrian’s Wall, the UNESCO world heritage site and the frontier of the Roman Empire is ready to be explored. Discover the varied lives of the troops stationed on the wall. Starting at Steel Rig we will walk the 2 1/2 miles to the Roman fort of Housesteads. This walk will enable you to see the wall, discover its milecastles and see the wild geography of the frontier. Housesteads is the most complete of Roman forts in Britain and gives you a fantastic view of Roman life on Hadrian’s wall. During the Roman period, it was called Vercovicium and was fortified by Germanic troops from Belgium and the Netherlands. After visiting the fort we stop for lunch at twice brewed. We will then proceed to Vindolanda. Vindolanda was a Roman supply base and has been extensively excavated providing us with in-depth information on the people who lived on the wall. This tour is great for those who love history, wish to discover more about the Romans and enjoy country walks.
What You'll Get
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Housesteads Roman Fort - Hadrian's Wall, Housesteads B6318, Haydon Bridge, Hexham NE47 6NN England
Housesteads is a large Roman fort in the centre of Hadrian's wall.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Vindolanda Vindolanda Bardon Mill, Hexham NE47 7JG England
One of the longest archaeological digs in Europe - Vindolanda is a fantastic site that tells the story of the northern frontier that is Hadrian's wall
Duration: 1 hour
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Please contact us prior to booking if you have a health condition to discuss the suitability of the tour for you
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 30 travelers
- Local guide
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off - Please notify us of where you are staying in Newcastle.
- Transport by private vehicle
- Entry/Admission - Housesteads Roman Fort - Hadrian's Wall
- Entry/Admission - Vindolanda
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
- Drinks at Lunch time
Steel Rigg Car Park, Henshaw, Northumberland NE47 7AN, UK
Traveler pickup is offered
We can collect customers from Newcastle International airport or hotels in Newcastle upon Tyne and Durham. Please contact us once you have booked to organise your pick up and drop off for your tour.
Port of Tyne
1: Vindolanda, Bardon Mill, Hexham NE47 7JN, UK
2: Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Iles Tours in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
14-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operator's terms and conditions for this offer here.