This tour tells you the story of the transition from the Roman into the Anglo-Saxon period in the North East of England. From Emperor Hadrian and his wall through to the Anglo-Saxons settling and laying the foundations for England as we know it today. Arbeia was a thriving Roman supply port with a diverse population ranging from local Britons and Gaulish soldiers to middle eastern traders. It is a great introduction to the story of the Roman empires frontier. Jarrow hall likewise tells a fantastic story of the Monk Bede - one of England’s earliest Historian, Scientist and theologian. Both sites have fantastic reconstructions of buildings as they would have looked during the period as well as museum artifacts that show off the diverse history of the site.
What You'll Get
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Arbeia, South Shields Roman Fort, Baring Street, South Shields NE33 2BB England
Discover the Roman Fort of Arbiea and the supply base for the Romans on Hadrian's wall.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Jarrow Hall Anglo-Saxon Farm, Village and Bede Museum, The Museum, Church Bank, Jarrow NE32 3DY England
Explore Anglo-Saxon England on this section of the tour and the transformation of the Anglo-Saxons from Pagan to Christian society
Duration: 1 hour
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- Private transportation
- Entry/Admission - Jarrow Hall Anglo-Saxon Farm, Village and Bede Museum
3 hours 30 minutes
Church Bank, Jarrow NE32, UK
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Iles Tours in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
14-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operator's terms and conditions for this offer here.