South Shields and Jarrow contain fantastic history from before the Romans and, today, are vibrant towns in the North East of England. On this tour, you’ll hear the story of the Roman Fort of Arbeia and the Anglo-Saxon story of the North East at Jarrow Hall. At Arbeia, you’ll discover the stories of soldiers and civilians alike – with dedications to Middle-Eastern traders, slaves and native Britons, all living together at this frontier.
At Jarrow Hall, you’ll explore the story of the Germanic Anglo-Saxons through the museum dedicated to the Venerable Bede. Bede is arguably the greatest scholar of the Dark Ages, not only a monk, but also a teacher, scientist and historian in a time most believe to be violent, uneducated and unrecorded.
Both sites have fantastic reconstructions of buildings from their periods, including a Roman gatehouse, barracks block and commanding officers’ house.
What 3 Words starting location: ///rocky.move.wide
What You'll Get
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Arbeia, South Shields Roman Fort, Baring Street, South Shields NE33 2BB England
Discover the Roman Fort of Arbiea and the supply base for the Romans on Hadrian's wall.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Jarrow Hall Anglo-Saxon Farm, Village and Bede Museum, The Museum, Church Bank, Jarrow NE32 3DY England
Explore Anglo-Saxon England on this section of the tour and the transformation of the Anglo-Saxons from Pagan to Christian society
Duration: 1 hour
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- Private transportation
- Entry/Admission - Jarrow Hall Anglo-Saxon Farm, Village and Bede Museum
Church Bank, Jarrow NE32, UK
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Iles Tours in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.