Avoid London's heavy traffic and save time and costs. Enjoy a scenic drive from Bromley through the Kent countryside before arriving at Down House. (Bromley South Station is less than 20 minutes’ direct train ride from London Victoria, covered by zone 5 Oystercards or Travelcards).
Down House was where Darwin developed his theory of evolution by natural selection and wrote his controversial and groundbreaking work On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection (1859).
Visit the house’s museum and learn what Darwin discovered during his famous voyage on HMS Beagle.
Maintained by English Heritage, tour inside the property and get a glimpse of how this well-known family lived in Victorian times.
Walk around the wonderful gardens and visit his greenhouse, used for his many plant experiments.
It’s educational and enjoyable for kids and adults alike.
There will also be an opportunity to enjoy lunch or tea.
N.B. Restricted opening during winter months. Please enquire.
About This Deal
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Home of Charles Darwin Down House, Down House Luxted Road, Downe, Bromley BR6 7JT England
Visit Down House, the former family home of English naturalist, geologist and biologist, Charles Darwin.
Enjoy a private tour by car to the delightful Kent countryside, minutes away from busy London, through the country lanes to the village of Downe.
Darwin developed his theory of evolution by natural selection and wrote his controversial and ground-breaking work On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection (1859) at Down House.
Explore the house’s museum and learn what Darwin discovered during his voyage on HMS Beagle.
Tour inside the property and get a glimpse of how this well-known family lived in Victorian times, now preserved by English Heritage.
Walk around the well-maintained gardens and see Darwin's greenhouse which provided an ideal environment for his many plant experiments.
Do something different which many visitors who visit London miss.
Join me, a local who can help bring you something unique. It’s educational and enjoyable for kids and adults alike.
This tour is 100% private, for just you and your family. I can customise it for you. Simply let me know what your requirements are and if you would like to visit another historical place, including the remains of a Roman Villa nearby; Chartwell House (former family home of Sir Winston Churchill); or one of my popular castle tours further in Kent, as part of this tour. I’ll then send you a quote and a suggested itinerary.
N.B. Down House is open most days but, during winter months, is usually only open at weekends between 4th November 2019 and 16th February 2020. Please enquire and I can make suggestions.
Duration: 3 hours
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Infant seats available
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Near public transportation
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- John England Tours is certified as ‘Good To Go’ & ‘Safe Travels.' - Industry-standards by VisitEngland and the World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC) assuring visitors businesses have clear processes and are following tourism and Government COVID-19 safety guidance. << Fully vaccinated.>>
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Fuel - Return journey to Down House from Bromley South Station
- Entrance tickets
- Audio guide subject to availability
- No tour fee for kids 10 years and under. (Must be accompanied by a relative 21+ years old).
- All Fees and Taxes
- Entry/Admission - Home of Charles Darwin Down House
- Meals and beverages
- The venue is shut or partly open during the winter season. (Please enquire).
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the John England Tours in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.