The stunning scenery of Lochaber has been made over millions of years. On our Geotours, a local expert geologist will take you to beautiful places and explain how the rocks and the landscape were shaped by continental collisions, folding that produced mountain ranges, episodes of volcanic activity and finally carved by the action of ice.Ancient volcanoes and powerful glaciers have led to the world-famous rugged scenery of this sculpted valley (known in Scotland as a Glen). Travelling South through Ballachulish into Glen Coe, via the A 82, you will be stunned by your surroundings.Please note that this is a self-drive tour. Start location: Ballachulish Tourist information, 25 km South of Fort William on the A 82.Start time is 10amEnd Location: Glencoe Ski CentreEnd time is 4pmDistance travelled by car, from Ballachulish to Glencoe Ski Centre, is 22.5km (45km to get back to Ballachulish).Walking Level: ModerateKids go free.
What You'll Get
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Glen Coe, Scotland
Ancient volcanoes and powerful glaciers have led to the world-famous rugged scenery of this sculpted valley (known in Scotland as a Glen). Travelling South through Ballachulish into Glen Coe, via the A 82, you will be stunned by your surroundings. Stops include:
- Ballachulish slate quarry. Opened in 1692, this quarry supplied most of Scotland with roof tiles. If you look closely you may see some golden crystals. But don’t be fooled, they are pyrite!
Standing on the edge of an ancient volcano (caldera)
- Banana rock!
- Waterfalls by Queen’s cairn with flow-banded rhyolite, welded ash from the volcano nearby
- The three sisters of Glen Coe
- NW – SE trending fault lines showing the movement of the volcanic rocks
- A flinty rock which forms part of a fault intrusion
- The scenery from blockbuster movies such as Skyfall
Please note this is a standard Geotour. Transport is not provided. Participants will use their own cars. The amount of walking is variable but mainly over short distances on paths.
Duration: 1 hour
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 4 travelers
Glencoe Mountain Resort, Glencoe PH49 4HZ, UK
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Lochaber Geopark Visitor Centre in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
14-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operator's terms and conditions for this offer here.