Learn how to navigate with a compass, map and the sun across beautiful moorland carpeting one of the UK’s wildlife-rich landscapes with a qualified Hill and Moorland Leader.Take yourself confidently on-and-off the beaten track and prepare yourself for any long distance national trails through moorland and hills (Two Moors Way, South West Coast Path, Coleridge Way, Quantock Greenway, Dales Way) and understand the landscape and use of Public Rights of Way.This course is for you if you’ve some basic knowledge of using a compass and map.Perfect for Duke of Edinburgh Award expedition practice, National Navigation Award Scheme NNAS (Bronze and Silver) practice or just to improve navigation competency.
What You'll Get
From Lynmouth National Park Centre, we will head to the village of Malmsmead (transport available for 3 people only) to start the Doone Valley walk. Our walk takes us up onto the Brendon Commons for our navigation exercises!
It is best to pack full waterproofs for a forecasted wet and windy spell, anor suncream, sun hat and sunglasses for a hot and dry day. Exmoor's weather is so variable at all times of the year!
Bring lunch, 1l water bottle (minimum), compass and OL9 Explorer map Exmoor.
Sturdy and gripped waterproof walking boots advised (example Meindl, Scarpa, Berghaus and North Face ideally with Gore-tex waterproof technology)
Terrain: on earthy public footpaths, bridleways, tarmac road and onto common land/open access land
Duration: 4 hours
Location: Doone Valley, Exmoor National Park England
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Public transport from Barnstaple to Lynmouth is best via the 310 bus. Limited transport from Minehead to Lynmouth on a heritage bus running July to August
- Ground can be very steep with uneven ground and dips which may cause unexpected body movement/jolting/pressure
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- Bottled water - fresh spring water available to top up your 1l water bottle
- Please bring your own compass and OS OL9 Explorer map and case
Lynmouth Pavillion, Lynmouth EX35 6EQ, UK
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Moor Wild Experiences in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
14-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operator's terms and conditions for this offer here.