Dorchester is a Roman jewel in the heart of Dorset. This accessible county town boasts a rich heritage and is scattered with visible remnants of its ancient origins, from an impressive Roman villa to a Neolithic henge.The South West Coast PathOne of the best ways to appreciate the spectacular scenery of the Jurassic Coast is on foot.The South West Coast Path offers some wonderful views, taking in dramatic cliff top vistas, as well as numerous sea-level sections which allow you to really appreciate the intricate rock formations or, in some locations, hunt for your own fossils.Visit Bridport Museum. The small Jurassic Coast gallery in Bridport Museum boasts some wonderful specimens of local fossils including ammonites, starfish and even a plesiosaur. All of these specimens were discovered just a few miles from the museum and show how amazingly rich in fossils the Jurassic rocks of West Dorset are.
What You'll Get
For hundreds of years the Minster has been a centre for pilgrimage, prayer and worship. It is not a museum, although it has inherited some wonderful treasures and artefacts. It is an ancient building sitting majestically in the middle of the town of the same name. Its two Towers are visible as one enters the Town and from various vantage points within the Town.
The foundation goes back to c.705AD when Cuthburga, sister to Ina, King of the West Saxons, founded a nunnery on the site.500 nuns are reputed to have lived at Wimborne, many of whom followed St. Boniface to the then pagan Germany, as missionaries.
The Nunnery was destroyed by the Danes in 1013 but an old Saxon Chest still remains in the Minster today.
The present building dates from c.1120 with many additions spanning the centuries, making it a truly interesting building to visit.
Other attractions include the Man in the Wall, the Man with two left feet and the only memorial brass dedicated to a king in the country. The Minster also boasts a fine set of thirteen bells.
• The Minster Church of St Cuthburga, 22 High Street, Wimborne Minster BH21 1EB England
• Dorchester Abbey, High Street, Dorchester-on-Thames OX10 7HH England
• Jurassic Coast, DT11 0JG England
• Durdle Door & White Nothe Circular Walk, Lulworth Car Park, West Lulworth BH20 5RQ England
• Golden Cap Estate, Charmouth, Bridport England
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Bottled water
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Private transportation
Traveler pickup is offered
We pick up from any hotel in London Postal Code area. We also Pick up from any hotel in Heathrow Airport
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the My Dream Destinations in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.