Enjoy access to private New Town gardens. Learn about the history and architecture of the New Town, and the untold stories of the private lives of New Town residents of the 18th and 19th centuries - of all classes! Pauline, your guide, is an Oxford-educated historian who has lived in Edinburgh for over 50 years and is currently studying for her Masters in Dress and Textile Histories. She will be dressed (weather depending) in replicas of the clothes which Edinburgh women in the 1800s would have worn. There is nothing she enjoys more than talking about historical dress – so ask those questions! Groups are kept deliberately small to ensure you get the most out of your tour.
About This Deal
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: New Town, New Town, Edinburgh, Scotland
Just 5 minutes from the bustle of Princes Street lie the wonders of Edinburgh’s New Town. Elegant Georgian Streets and exquisite town-houses sit amongst beguiling private gardens and bucolic wooded dells. Cobbled streets and hidden staircases lead to fabled wells, charming mews and architectural delights.
On your walk, the tale will be told of the creation of the New Town and of the men of the Scottish Enlightenment whose vision it was. The untold stories of the lives of their wives, their workers and of the Edinburgh artisans whose labour fashioned this World Heritage Site will also be explored.
This is a tour for locals and visitors alike. In a small group you will enjoy privileged access to private gardens which most locals will never see. Fantastic for photos. No dungeons, vaults or wizards here! Instead, historically accurate accounts touching on the social, cultural and architectural history of Edinburgh’s New Town and its inhabitants.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Appropriate walking shoes required.
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 4 travelers
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- The tour is entirely outdoors and your tour guide is fully vaccinated against Covid-19.
- Privileged access to private New Town gardens
1 hour 30 minutes
The Cumberland Bar, 1-3 Cumberland St, Edinburgh EH3 6RT, UK
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Centuries of Style in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.