There is no better way to enjoy a delightful Autumn day than packing your rucksack, lacing those boots and taking a walk back in time, through one of North Nottinghamshire’s most historic towns, quaint villages, pretty waterways and surrounding countryside. The small and attractive market town of East Retford in North Nottinghamshire is one of the oldest boroughs in England and is steeped in history and local folklore, from the notorious Highwayman, Dick Turpin, to the most legendary outlaw, Robin Hood. Our walk takes us over field edge tracks, through ancient woodland and by road, before joining our pretty waterway path along the Chesterfield Canal, where we will stop for a delightful picnic provided by BaRnby’s from Blyth.
About This Deal
BABWORTH – WATERWAYS AND WILDLIFE
Distance: 7.5 miles/12km
Gradient: Mostly level
Approx time to walk: 4 hours
Maps: OS Explorer 270 Sherwood Forest, Mansfield, Worksop & Edwinstowe OS Explorer 271 Retford
Path description: Paths, tracks & country lanes. Can get muddy along the canal towpath
Start point: Babworth Church DN22 8EP
Dog-friendly: Yes; on leads on public roads
Public toilets: Town centre close to Town Hall
Refreshments: BaRnby's 'Posh Picnic' on the route.
We begin this walk in the small, but quintessentially English hamlet of Babworth. The country lanes are lined with Evergreens bursting with bright red Winterberries, small paths and winding tracks take you to a little church, hidden amongst some of the area’s oldest trees. our walk takes us over field edge tracks, through ancient woodland and by road, where we follow in the footsteps of Dick Turpin, before joining our waterway path along the Chesterfield Canal, where we will stop for a delightful POSH PICNIC.
• Babworth, Babworth, Retford, Nottinghamshire, England
• Chesterfield Canal, Wharf Road, Retford DN22 6EN England
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Lunch - Luxury 'Posh Picnic' with a selection of superb salads, homemade sausage rolls, chocolate brownies and Elder-flower cordial, served in a delightful setting by the canal side.
- Bottled water
All Saints' Church, Babworth, Babworth Rd, Retford DN22 8EP, UK
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Sally Outram - SOEnterprises Limited in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.