Discover the spectacular mountain landscapes of the Lake District without having to go hiking! Enjoy this minibus tour of the national park’s high mountain passes. Absorb incredible views from the Wrynose and Hardknott Mountain Passes, and the superb panoramas from Wastwater, voted Britain’s best view. You will also enjoy a ride through Eskdale on the Ravenglass and Eskdale railway and entry to Muncaster Castle garden and grounds.
What You'll Get
Take in the striking mountains and western fells of the Lake District on this guided full-day adventure. Travel steep roads through the Hardknott and Wrynose Passes, and take a ride on the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway before seeing Wastwater Lake and historic Muncaster Castle's gardens.
Depart from Windermere, driving through the majestic Great Langdale Valley toward the mountain passes of Wrynose and Hardknott - 2 of the steepest roads in England. Following the line of an old Roman road (the tenth highway). The journey from Langdale take you to Wastwater, the deepest lake in England overlooked by its highest mountain, Scafell Pike in the background. The area features "Britain's Favourite View," it captures the lake surrounded by the sheer, rugged slopes of the Wastwater Screes.
Arriving in Eskdale we stop for lunch at a pub with a light lunch menu, before boarding the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway. Affectionately dubbed La’al Ratty, the heritage line takes you through enchanting, ancient woodlands down the valley.
After your charming train ride, continue your tour to Muncaster Castle, here entrance to the grounds and Garden is included. The time here varies dependant on the day but you will have time to explore some of the extensive Gardens and view the Valley of which the Castle overlooks. On the way back to Windermere, pass through the beautiful Yewdale Valley as a picturesque end to your tour.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Children must be 5 years or older to travel on this tour
- Confirmation is received at the time of booking
- There will be a designated lunch stop where you’ll be able to purchase lunch
- There are toilet stops on route
- Minimal walking is involved
- Our vehicles are not currently wheelchair accessible
- Luggage storage is available at the Windermere Information departure location
- Seats cannot be reserved
- Each passenger must have their own seat
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- Transport in a small mini-coach
- On-board commentary in English
- A ride on the Ravenglass and Eskdale narrow gauge railway.
- Entry/Admission - Muncaster Castle
- Entry/Admission - Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway
- Food & drink
- Additional Entrance fees
- Driver’s gratuity (Optional)
Returns to original departure point at approximately 5:30pm
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the The Mountain Goat in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
14-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operator's terms and conditions for this offer here.