Can you imagine a tour that spans the past and present? A tour to help you to discover the history and culture of the city, but also provide you with the best insider tips for making the most of your time there? On our Free Edinburgh Tour, we will show you all of this and much more!
What You'll Get
With our local, professional guides, you will discover the rich collection of stories from the streets of Edinburgh. This is a free tour through the heart of a magical, unique city, where we will immerse ourselves in its history, its culture, its literary tradition, its gastronomy, and the many more aspects that make this destination such a unique place. After an introduction to the Scottish capital, follow us into the heart of the Old Town, following the cobblestoned Royal Mile, and its maze of alleyways or ‘closes’ as they’re known. See the Mercat Cross, a meeting point for merchants and minstrels, and discover how thieves were punished there. Admire St Giles’ Cathedral, and learn about the controversy and power struggles that came with the Scottish Reformation. Meet the most famous philosopher of the Enlightenment period, and find out which of your favourite books were written by Scottish authors. Take in spectacular views of Edinburgh Castle and wander down the iconic Victoria Street – or is it Diagon Alley? Hear about the grisly executions that took place in the Grassmarket. See the city’s most famous cemetery, Greyfriars Kirkyard, and discover the story of Greyfriars Bobby, the city’s most beloved dog.
As a UNESCO World Heritage site, visiting the Old Town is like taking a walk through history, in this one of the most unique cities you’ll ever visit. It’s a journey through time, in a place where the buildings seem to be alive with stories. We know these stories, so let us share them with you!
We trust 100% in each of our professional guides, and each of them has their own unique, personal style to deliver the stories of this city. Therefore, their routes may vary slightly and cover different areas, but in most cases we will share with you:
• An introduction to Edinburgh and Scotland – History and Politics
• The Royal Mile.
• St. Giles’ Cathedral and the Scottish Reformation
• The Mercat Cross.
• The true story of Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde.
• David Hume and Scottish Enlightenment.
• Victoria Street.
• Whisky and Haggis.
• Edinburgh Castle.
• The story of Maggie Dickson.
• Greyfriars Kirkyard.
• The haunted Covenanters’ Prison.
• George Heriot’s School, inspiration for Hogwarts
• The tale of the city’s most loyal dog, Greyfriars Bobby
• Recommendations for bars, restaurants, and other places to visit…
• And much more!
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Accesibility: the tour is suitable for people with reduced mobility, as we are able to adapt the route so that everyone can participate.
- The tours are available in English and Spanish as 2 separate groups, with a guide for each language.
- Tours run in all weathers, so please dress appropriatley and be prepared.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 30 travelers
- Guaranteed spot on the tour.
- Services of professional guide.
- Please note that the £1 charge is a booking fee only. The free tour model means that at the end of the tour, you can choose your own price based on your experience.
Beside St. Giles Cathedral
10:00 am and 11:00 am every day
Edinburgh Old Town, within maximun 10 minutes from departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the The Orange Free Tour in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
14-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operator's terms and conditions for this offer here.