This self-guided GPS audio tour covers the most famous building in Wapping is a pub, The Prospect of Whitby, which was a favourite with pirates and smugglers as well as with Charles Dickens and Samuel Pepys. This ancient village which stretches between the Tower of London and Limehouse has always been associated with seafarers. They tended to live a life apart from the rest of London, although in the eighteenth century the 36 pubs along the riverfront attracted many visitors including Dr Samuel Johnson. Three of these pubs survive.
The London Docks were built in the early nineteenth century and were famous for the import of rum, wine and tobacco. The docks were closed in 1969, but many of the former wharves and warehouses have been preserved and converted into modern apartments. This retains the atmosphere of the past although the sense of danger evoked by Charles Dickens's novels has vanished.
About This Deal
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Tower of London, St Katharine's & Wapping, London EC3N 4AB England
William the Conqueror built the original 'White Tower' in the 11th Century. Many famous people were imprisoned and executed here, including Anne Boleyn, Sir Thomas Moore and Lady Jane Grey.
Pass By: St John's Churchyard, Wapping High St, London E1W 2PL, UK
St John's church itself was built in 1756 in red brick with white stone dressings, so that it would stand out amidst the dark and murky atmosphere of the area.
Pass By: The Prospect of Whitby, 57 Wapping Wall, London E1W 3SH England
The Prospect of Whitby claims to be the oldest riverside pub in London. It was first built in 1520 and preserves much of its original interior, but the outside was rebuilt in the nineteenth century.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- All of VoiceMap's audio tours are self-guided and users must bring their own smartphone and headphones to take the tour. We urge all our users to wear facemasks and carry hand sanitizer with them to ensure they're own protection and the protection of others.
- Lifetime access to Wapping and the old London Docks tour
- VoiceMap Application
- Offline access to audio, maps, and geodata
- Tickets or entrance fees to any museums or other attractions en route
Tower Hill, London EC3N 4DJ, UK
Suppliers and travelers coordinate start times within the given time periods. 7/19/2019 - 6/30/2022
|Monday - Sunday:||12:00 AM - 11:59 PM|
Prospect of Whitby, 57 Wapping Wall, London E1W 3SH, UK
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the VoiceMap in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.