Groupon Getaways FAQ
What is Groupon Getaways?
Whether you're searching for inspiration or ready to book your travel now, you can find the trip you're looking for on Groupon. Please check out our Gallery page for a wide variety of hotels and tours in national and international destinations.
There are two types of offers you can purchase:
- Flash Deals offer discounts of up to 70% off hotels, resorts, tours and other accommodation deals.
- You can also check out the Market Picks. Market Picks offer market rate prices (prices you can find on other online travel agencies) on selected hotels – but you will get back 5% Groupon credit to use on the next great deal you find (subject to certain restrictions and limitations).
Purchasing a Getaway
What’s the difference between Flash Deals and Market Picks?
Here’s how Flash Deals and Market Pick differ:
- Flash Deals offer discounts of up to 70% and are available for a limited time—typically 10–16 days. Flash deals can be a voucher deal or a booking deal.
- Market Picks also offer a great value but without the discounts of Flash Deals. Instead, Market Picks offer prices that are competitive with other online travel agents and come with a 5% Groupon credit (subject to certain restrictions and limitations).
What’s the difference between voucher and booking deals?
Groupon offers you a wide variety of Flash Deals. There are two types of Flash Deals: voucher deals and booking deals.
- Voucher Deal:
- You purchase a voucher which can be redeemed with the merchant who is the provider of the underlying deal (hotel, package, etc.).
- You then choose your travel dates when you redeem your voucher with the merchant, at some point after your purchase.
- After buying you can find your order in your Groupon account under the section “My Groupons”.
- Booking Deal:
- You purchase a hotel reservation directly from a supplier (and for which Groupon acts as an agent).
- You are able to book dates directly on the website using the booking calendar.
- After buying you can find your purchase in your Groupon account under the “My Groupons”.
Is airfare included?
Unless otherwise specified in the deal, airfare is not included for any Flash Deals (whether it’s a voucher or booking deal) or Market Picks.
How do I make a booking?
- If you've chosen a voucher deal:
- Purchase your voucher.
- Your voucher will be available in your account under “My Groupons” and will include all of the necessary booking information.
- Contact the merchant as specified on your voucher before the book-by or expiration date. Be sure to mention your voucher and that you are a Groupon customer.
- Book a date within the travel window specified in the Fine Print.
- Provide your credit card information, if necessary, to secure your reservation (this is for booking purposes only—your card will not be charged).
- If you,ve chosen a booking deal:
- Select your dates, room type, and number of guests.
- Click the “Book!” button and start the ordering process.
- Log in in your Groupon Account.
- Enter the traveller information and click on “Continue”.
- Enter your payment information and complete your order.
- You’ll receive an email that confirms your purchase and includes all of your travel information.
- You'll find the information about the booking in your Groupon account under “My Groupons” as well as in the confirmation email you are sent.
How do I confirm my purchase?
- If you've purchased a voucher deal, your voucher will be available in your account under “My Groupons” and will include all of the necessary booking information. In order to book your travel dates, contact the merchant using the contact information listed on the voucher.
- If you've purchased a booking deal, you're all set. You’ll receive a confirmation by email that has all of the information you need. Your confirmation will also be available in your Groupon account in the “My Groupons” section. You do not need to contact the merchant unless you are making a special request; special requests must be made before your check-in date.
Do I have to pay anything extra?
- If you’ve purchased a voucher deal, the amount you pay for a voucher typically does not include taxes or any fees. Check the Fine Print section to see if any additional taxes or fees are owed upon booking or at check-in.
- If you’ve purchased a booking deal, it will typically include taxes and service fees unless otherwise stated. Any information related to taxes and service fees will be displayed on the payment page during checkout. Unless specified otherwise, the price of your reservation does not include any other traveller costs, such as travel insurance, incidentals, service charges, gratuities, or expenses due to special requests or add-ons.
Can I buy a Getaway as a gift?
- If it’s a voucher deal, then click “Give as a Gift” (located below the “Buy!” button) and proceed with the purchase process. After you've completed the order, the voucher will be sent to the gift recipient. He or she can then call the merchant to book the trip.
- If it’s a booking deal, list the recipient’s name during the purchase process when asked for ”Traveler Name.”
Can I buy more than one voucher for the same hotel?
This varies for each offer, so check the Fine Print section for any restrictions. With some offers, you can combine more than one voucher for a longer stay.
A reminder about the Fine Print:
Please take extra care to check the Fine Print section on all offers (whether Flash Deals or Market Picks) before you buy. This section includes important information such as blackout dates, cancellation policies, maximum room occupancy, and more.
Canceling or Modifying Your Getaway
What happens if I need to cancel my purchase?
- If you've purchased a voucher deal, you can get a refund for any reason within 7 working days after the day you have received the voucher. Please contact Groupon Customer Support. Once you make a reservation with the merchant, you are subject to its cancellation policy, which is listed in the Fine Print section.
- If you've purchased a booking deal, check the Fine Print section for the cancellation deadline (if any). You can cancel your reservation by contacting Groupon Customer Support anytime before that deadline.
Where can I find the cancellation deadline?
- If you've purchased a voucher, then you can cancel your purchase within 7 working days after you have received the voucher.
- If you've purchased using the booking calendar, the cancellation deadline (if there is one) is located in the Fine Print section of the deal. You can find this information on your “My Groupons” page by clicking ”View order details” next to the image for this purchase.
Where can I make special requests related to my purchase?
All requests must be made directly with the merchant prior to check-in. Groupon cannot fulfill any special requests and cannot guarantee that these requests will be fulfilled by the merchant or supplier.
What happens if I need to modify my purchase?
- If you've purchased a voucher deal, any modifications to your trip must be made through the merchant. However, Groupon cannot guarantee that these requests will be fulfilled by the merchant.
- If you've purchased a booking deal, it is not possible to modify your reservation. However, you may cancel your reservation before the cancellation deadline (if there is one) and make a new reservation if the offer is still available.
Do I need to have the same credit card with me at check-in that I used to make my purchase?
No. Depending on the check in policy of the merchant, the merchant will require a valid photo ID and a valid credit card for check-in, but it doesn’t have to be the credit card used for purchase (independently if Flash deal or Market Pick).
What should I do if the hotel has problems locating my reservation?
If the merchant is unable to locate your reservation for any reason, please call Groupon Customer Support at 020 3510 0444 Monday–Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. or contact us by clicking here
Can I upgrade my room?
Some properties allow for upgrades at an additional cost (and this will usually be included in the Fine Print). If the offer includes an upgrade option, you can arrange your upgrade with the merchant directly. If there is no information about upgrades listed in the Fine Print, you can always call the merchant to ask if an upgrade can be made for your dates.
What happens if I need to modify the Traveler Name on my trip?
You should contact the merchant directly to make any modifications to the Traveler Name.
What else do I need to know at check-in for my Market Pick?
To view hotel-specific check-in instructions, go to My Groupons, locate your Getaway, and click ”Hotel Details”. Check-in instructions will appear in the Fine Print section.
Why does Groupon offer a 5% Groupon credit on some hotels but not others?
Since Market Pick don’t offer the same discounts as Flash Deals, they include a 5% Groupon credit. Since Flash Deals are already discounted, they don’t include any Groupon credit.
When I book a Market Pick hotel, how is the 5% Groupon credit calculated?
You’ll get a credit worth 5% of the total purchase price (excluding any taxes and necessary fees). The credit will be deposited into the Groupon account used to make the purchase within 24 hours of hotel check-in. This credit will expire 180 days from the time you receive it.
What can I use my 5% Groupon credit for?
Groupon credit can be used toward most offers on the website and mobile app, though it can never be used for Market Pick and booking deals. Please check the Fine Print of a deal to see if there are any Groupon credit restrictions.
Why can’t I use Groupon credit toward my Market Pick hotel reservation?
Unfortunately, technical limitations prevent us from applying Groupon credit to Market Picks (we process them differently from other purchases).
I want to book a hotel that I saw on Groupon recently, but now I can’t find it. What happened?
Flash Deals are available in limited quantities and for a limited time, so the deal may have sold out or expired. A Market Pick hotel may not reappear because it no longer has availability for your dates. Alternatively, the hotel’s rate for your dates may have gone up, preventing it from being an attractive offer. If you can’t find the deal you wanted, don’t worry. There are hundreds of travel deals on the website and mobile app. Check back often—new offers are added every week.
I need additional help.
No problem. Please click here to reach out to Groupon Customer Support. We are happy to help you in any way we can.