Photography in Bristol: things to know before you go
All the most important questions on photography in Bristol – answered!
How should I prepare for a newborn photo shoot?
There’s no better way to share the news of a new arrival, or to make magical memories of your little one’s early days, than booking a newborn photo shoot. Check out our tips for a successful shoot:
- Book in good time. The best time for a newborn photo shoot is within the first two weeks of birth, to get perfect snaps of those tiny features and their precious first days.
- Choose accessories. The photographer may provide a selection of toys, blocks and other baby-friendly props, but taking your own cute little hats or toys will add a personal touch to the photos.
- Family shots. A newborn baby photo shoot is the perfect time to capture some special shots of the whole family to treasure forever. Don't miss the chance to include older siblings having a few cuddles too.
- Relax and enjoy. You might not feel like having your photo taken right now, but your future self will thank you for it. So, try to relax, smile and enjoy the moment. It’s a good excuse to book in a well-deserved pampering session beforehand too!
What's the best way to choose a wedding photographer?
Irreplaceable and full of memories to cherish, you'll want your wedding photos to be perfect. So, check out our tips on how to choose the best way to capture your big day:
- Decide on style. Whether it's traditional, informal, contemporary or adventurous, you'll need to find a photographer who will match your style.
- Ask for recommendations. Research local studios online, and if you loved a friend's recent wedding photos, don’t be afraid to ask for details of their photographer.
- Check out portfolios. Once you've narrowed down your options, take a closer look at portfolios and ask to see more if you're really interested.
- Meet the photographer. Before you go ahead and book, meet the photographer. You'll be working closely with them, so you need to be able to get on. An engagement shoot might be the best way to find out if works for everyone.
What's the best photography studio in Bristol?
It really depends on what style of photography you’re after – there are many different types of studio, plus snappers specialising in everyone from bouncing babies to blushing brides. Clifton Photographic offers professional packages for couples and families of up to 10 people, with themed photo shoots including superhero, ballerina and boudoir, while independent family photography company Zzzone in Bristol can take a family group of up to 20 people. For gorgeous outdoor family photos, Epic Photography offers an on location option at Ashton Court Manor House.
How can I turn my photos into a great photo book?
A photo book is the perfect way to make the most of your most precious photos. It provides a lovely memento of an occasion or event, and works really well as a gift. Here are a few ideas to help you create a good photo book :
- Tell a story. Choose just one subject per book, to help provide a focus.
- Kill your darlings. Be ruthless and choose your best photos. You can't fit them all in.
- Be creative. Mix and match different layouts to keep the design interesting.
- Let them breathe. White space can help a photo stand out. Avoid filling each page.
- Add captions. A little text can bring your story together, and give detail to photos.