Cafes in Cardiff: things to know before you go
All the big questions on where to get coffee, breakfast and a cheeky slice of cake in Cardiff’s best cafés near you, answered in one place.
Which cafe in Cardiff serves the best breakfast?
Here are three of the best coffee shops and cafés in Cardiff serving up the most important meal of the day:
- The Grazing Shed on St Mary Street might be more famous for its amazing burgers and American food, but it delivers on the bacon and sausage butty front, too.
- Garlands on Duke Street is a good choice if you’re watching your weight. You’ll certainly find a big old fry-up on the menu, but you’ll find healthier choices like granola right next to it. Garlands also does a cracking roast dinner on a Sunday and hosts wild cocktail nights.
- The Pot Cafe does a banging full Welsh, but for something a bit different try the cockles, smoked bacon and laverbread on sourdough with a poached egg.
Which is the best coffee shop in Cardiff?
Power up ahead of work or a big day’s shopping with your morning coffee. Cardiff has plenty of great options waiting for you including:
- The Deck. This underground café in Cardiff Bay is a coffee shop and cakery – and it has some of the most beautiful cupcakes you’ll ever lay your eyes on. That’s before you get to the more substantial breakfast and lunch options with sandwiches, which are also to die for.
- Servini’s. This much-loved café in Cardiff city centre is renowned for stocking the best coffee blends in the city – with guest blends from across the world. There’s plenty on offer food-wise too, including vegetarian and gluten-free options.
- Crumb’s Kitchen. These guys go pretty big on flavour with a host of vegetarian and vegan meals. It’s not only great-tasting but healthy, too.
Which cafés in Cardiff have free Wi-Fi?
Coffee shops and cafés have become offices away from the office for many. Ticking the boxes for fast WiFi and great coffee are these four gems:
- Coffee Barker is nestled by the entrance to one of Cardiff’s Victorian arcades. This cool breakfast café serves awesome pancake stacks and milkshakes alongside coffee that’s just as good as you’d expect.
- Cafe Aroma is an inviting little space with a loyal following and an impressive array of coffee blends from across the world.
- Juno Lounge is just around the corner from Roach Park, it’s a chilled out spot with plenty of space for you to settle into.
- Garlands is another café set in one of Cardiff’s lovely Victorian arcades. Great for its relaxed, rustic atmosphere.
What are some of the best cake cookbooks?
Second to cookery courses in Cardiff, cookbooks are a great way to start your journey towards becoming an expert cake-maker. Here’s our top five recipe books:
- Mary Berry’s Baking Bible
- Cheeky Treats by Liam Charles
- The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook by Tarek Malouf
- Lola's: A Cake Journey around the World by Julia Head
- Bake: 125 Show-Stopping Recipes, Made Simple by Lorraine Pascale