Sightseeing and tours in Oxford: things to know before you go
Cobbled streets, hidden landmarks and narrow alleyways mean there’s no better way to see Oxford than on foot, bus or bike. Before we ramble on further, here are all your questions about sightseeing and tours near you answered.
Where are the best Oxford walking tours?
Exploring Oxford on foot is the best way to take in the city’s incredible architecture and enjoy the sights. We’ve rounded up the best Oxford walking tours. So strap on your boots and book onto one of these:
- Walking Tours of Oxford. From private tours to guided walks, this is a top-rated company delivering some of the best Oxford college tours that also take in famous landmarks and places of literary significance.
- Footprint Tours. Totally free, you’ll be guided by a student for two hours and learn plenty about the city they’re studying in.
- Footprint Tours Limited. A combination of walking with biking, explore Oxford like a local. Delve into the oldest colleges on foot before jumping on your bike for a wider tour of the city.
What is the best Oxford bus tour?
If you’d rather give your feet a rest and whizz around the city instead, then a bus is a great option. Here are some of the best Oxford bus tours:
- City Sightseeing host recommended bus tours in Oxford, rated highly by our cultured customers. They’re hop-on, hop-off, so when a sight takes your fancy you can enjoy it in your own time. The open-air top deck provides panoramic views – just hope the rain stays away…
- Oxford Bus Company run open tour buses across the city. With 20 different stops you won’t miss a thing – perfect if you want to see Oxford’s highlights in a short space of time.
- The Hop-On Hop-Off Bus will zip you around the city’s best landmarks including Oxford Canal and Oxford Castle. Running daily, choose from a University or Meadows & Bridges tour, depending on what floats your boat.
What are the best Oxford college tours?
Oxford’s 30 different colleges are what makes the city so special. Steeped in history with a never-ending list of famous alumni, get up close to the walls with these Oxford college tours:
- Oxford College Tours. There’s no better way to see the colleges than a guided tour run by the University itself. Visit any college you want and walk in the footsteps of Oscar Wilde and Hugh Grant.
- Bainton Bikes. Get ready for a two-hour bike ride across the city. Pedal along cobbled streets and take in the sights as you burn a few calories, too.
Where can I find Oxford guided tours?
Get up close and personal to the city with one of the many Oxford guided tours available. From historical legacies to some of fiction’s best characters, you’ll leave inspired and full of facts for this great city. We have a range of deals near you and here are some of the best:
- Oxford University run guided tours of their own colleges. Just pick your college of choice and pay less than £5 to enjoy an educational tour.
- Day Tours London offer guided tours across Oxford if you’re visiting from the capital. Packed full of insightful facts, they’ll also suggest the best places to eat and drink after working up an appetite from all that walking.
- Ride a helicopter and see this most charming city from above, while enjoying the thrill of a lifetime.
- Get Your Guide have a wide choice of guided tours to choose from – whether it’s the Harry Potter film sites you’ve been waiting to see or a full day tour of the architecture in Oxford.