Gyms in Edinburgh: what to know before you go
All the questions you’ve asked about gyms in Edinburgh city centre - answered!
Which are the best value gyms in Edinburgh?
Edinburgh gyms are like shows at the Fringe – so many to choose from! Once you know what you're looking for in a gym, you can start to narrow down your options. Village Gym offers gym, swim and fitness passes, giving access to a state-of-the-art centre with modern equipment, heated pool and spa facilities. With Athlete Training Systems, choose an open one-month or three-month gym membership plus personal training to help boost strength and stamina.
How can I prepare for a boxing class?
If you’ve decided to get fighting fit, boxing classes can help boost your cardio – and are a fun way to vent some frustrations too! Check out these handy tips for how to get started:
- Get equipped. Choose non-restrictive comfortable sportswear and suitable trainers. When the gloves are on, it’ll be tough to make adjustments to your clothing.
- Wrap your hands. You'll be throwing more than a few punches, so take care of your wrists and hands with good quality, well-fitting hand wraps and gloves.
- Stay hydrated. It's important to keep hydrated during exercise, especially with a more physical activity like boxing, so have some water with you at all times.
- Don't eat beforehand. Classes can be intense, so a big meal beforehand won't do you any favours. Choose a banana instead, and save the meal for the post-match refuelling.
- Do your homework. It helps to have an understanding of the moves before you go, so read up on the basics in order to follow instructions easily during class.
What do I need for the gym?
You don't need much to have a good workout at the gym, but these essentials will help you be mentally prepared and ready to make each session a good one:
- Sportswear. Choose appropriate clothing and footwear for the fitness class or exercises you plan to do.
- Change of clothes. You're likely to sweat, so spare clothes are handy if you plan to shower.
- Towel. It'll keep you cool, and you can use it to dry equipment for the next user.
- Gym bag. You'll need one to hold your gym kit – especially for holding it at arm’s length after a good sweat.
- Water bottle. Handy for staying hydrated in classes and during long workouts.
- Fitness tracker. Great for keeping an eye on your vitals during workouts, and monitoring your progress over time.
- Headphones. Prepare a playlist. The right music can help you get in the mood and focus.
What are the most popular exercise classes?
If you attend a leisure gym in Edinburgh, you'll find many fitness classes to choose from. Taking different classes will help keep your routine interesting and work different parts of your body. Here are some popular classes to pick from:
- Aerial yoga. Combines traditional yoga postures and dance with the intriguing use of a hammock.
- Crossfit. A hardcore conditioning class consisting of calisthenics, weightlifting and aerobic exercise.
- Barre. Uses a series of classical ballet movements with focus on form, alignment and core.
- Spinning. Indoor stationary cycling, with all the challenges of endurance and intensity offered by outdoor cycling.
- Circuit training. A series of exercises targeting muscle endurance and strength building.