Since pre-history Bamburgh and Lindisfarne have had human settlements. As a fortress of the Kingdom of Northumbria Bamburgh was the centre of the largest Kingdom in England during the 7th and 8th century. In the middle ages, the Castle developed as an important fortress against Scottish attack - eventually developing into the impressive fortification you see today. Lindisfarne is famous for both the Lindisfarne Gospels and being one of the first locations in the United Kingdom to be attacked by the Vikings. It is called the cradle of English Christianity due to the importance of the monastery in the dark ages. Due to the tides, the tour may go to Lindisfarne at different times to enable safe crossing and return to the mainland. The Village of Bamburgh will also be included in the tour with the remains of the monastery and St. Aiden’s Church both being sights to visit.
What You'll Get
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Bamburgh Castle Bamburgh, Bamburgh NE69 7DF England
Discover the King of Castles in the North East of England.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Lindisfarne Priory Museum Church Lane, TD15 2RX England
Described as the cradle of Christianity in England discover the story of the Island of Lindisfarne
Duration: 2 hours
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Near public transportation
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Please contact us if you have any health problems and we will be able to advise on the suitability of the tour
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 30 travelers
- Local guide
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off - Please notify us of where you are staying in Newcastle.
- Transport by private vehicle
- Bottled water
- Entry/Admission - Bamburgh Castle
- Entry/Admission - Lindisfarne Priory
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
1: Bamburgh NE69, UK
2: Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Traveler pickup is offered
We are able to collect from Newcastle International Airport and from Hotels in Newcastle and Durham. Please contact us following booking to organise your transport.
Port of Tyne
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Iles Tours in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
14-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operator's terms and conditions for this offer here.