Explore the site of the Castle that gave the city its name and discover its medieval gatehouse, the Black Gate. Uncover the changing face of the Castle through the ages: from royal fortress and border stronghold to grim dungeon and teeming slum. New exhibits allow visitors to experience what life would have been like for inhabitants in these two astonishingly preserved medieval buildings.
What You'll Get
Visit: Newcastle Castle, The Black Gate Castle Garth Castle Garth, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 1RQ England
Newcastle’s most historic buildings, the Castle Keep and its 13th century gatehouse the Black Gate, were once part of a much larger fortress. Given its tumultuous history, it is miraculous that so much of Newcastle’s castle has survived intact.
Today you can explore the ancient passageways and chambers where Kings walked and villains were imprisoned. Find the marks left by the inhabitants through the ages and learn the fascinating story of the Castle Garth community which grew up around the ruins. The two buildings that remain were cut off from each other by the Victorian railways of the 19th century - an unfortunate side effect of the North East's trailblazing role in the Industrial Revolution.
Exhibits guide visitors through the Castle's history over the years: from settlement in Roman times, to medieval stronghold, use as a modern day museum and everything in between. Simply purchase your ticket from the Castle's all-new Black Gate reception to begin your journey.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- The Castle consists of two buildings: the Castle Keep and Black Gate. While the Black Gate is fully accessible, the Castle Keep has many steep stairs and uneven surfaces. Those who suffer from claustrophobia, vertigo or a nervous disposition are advised to speak with a member of staff in our Black Gate reception before climbing the stairs.
- Dogs, with the exception of guide dogs, are not permitted entry. Buggies can be parked in the reception of the Black Gate, however taking these into the Castle Keep is not advised.
- The Castle Keep is a Scheduled Ancient Monument with several upper storeys which are not accessible to disabled visitors. The Black Gate, however, has been fitted with ramps and an external lift. This allows access to the upper-levels of the building, including the reception, where you can purchase tickets, and an exhibition space. The building also has an adapted accessible toilet on its first floor.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- Entry/Admission - Newcastle Castle
- Food and drinks, unless specified
9/21/2018 - 12/31/2019
|Monday - Sunday:||10:00 AM - 05:00 PM|
1 to 2 hours
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Newcastle Castle in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
14-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operator's terms and conditions for this offer here.