Getting off of the beaten track this tour will explore a diverse mix of habitats looking both for wildlife and exploring the rich history of the New Forest.
About This Deal
Meeting at the iconic Bolton’s Bench the walk will follow ‘The Ridge’ with panoramic views across classic New Forest heath and mire to distant woodland. The route then enters the ancient woodland of Denny Inclosure before passing through a mix of woodland habitats, then returning via the working coppice woodland of Pondhead Inclosure. Focusing on the broad range of wildlife we might encounter, from the iconic Dartford Warbler to the enigmatic Fallow Deer or ancient Beech and Oak. We will also be treated to an array of wildflowers, fungi, butterflies and invertebrates. We will explore how the ancient tradition of commoning has and continues to form the landscape as we see it, taking the time to look at the important role that ponies and cattle have played in managing the landscape that we see around us. In addition, we will look at the mixed history of the Forest from the remains of the historic Parc Pale right up to the WW2 bombing range, demonstrating what an important role the Forest has played in Britain’s history. The walk will cover about 8 km and will take a relaxed pace, giving plenty of time to drink in the surroundings and explore whatever wildlife should present itself.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Each guide has over 20 years experience surveying wildlife in the New Forest.
Bolton's Bench, B3056, Lyndhurst SO43 7BQ, UK
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Wild New Forest in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.