This Bonfire Night weekend, jump into the flames of York's explosive past with our brand-new, Fire-powered Family Tour of York!
Led by expert guides, Dr. Simon Rogerson and Dr. Liam Herringshaw, our Fire-powered Family Tour blazes a trail into York's hidden history, illuminating highlights that other tours miss.
In the shadow of York Minster, we’ll light the fuse with the tale of Guy Fawkes, revealing how a group of York schoolboys ended up fanning the flames of the Gunpowder Plot.
We’ll then set the Minster ablaze with the incendiary Martin brothers, chase volcanoes down Stonegate, and salute the French World War 2 hero who saved York from burning to the ground. And we’ll finish in hot water at the town’s Roman Baths.
About This Deal
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: St. Michael le Belfrey Church, High Petergate, York YO1 7EN England
We meet outside St Michael le Belfrey Church and introduce Guy Fawkes and the York school friends with whom he ended up fanning the flames of the Gunpowder Plot.
Pass By: York Minster, Minster Yard Deangate, York YO1 7HH England
At York Minster, we'll gather outside the South Transept and admire the famous Rose Window. We will discuss the many fires that have struck the historic cathedral, and tell the tale of the incendiary Martin brothers.
Pass By: Stonegate, York YO1 8AW England
On the ancient paved street of Stonegate, we'll stop outside number 23 to meet a volcano-chasing eye surgeon, who traveled the world using a 'magic lantern' to study eruptions.
Stop At: St. Helen's Square, City Centre, York YO1 8QN England
In St Helen's Square, we'll stand on a volcanic rock whilst looking for a lantern tower! We will then walk around onto Coney Street, to the church of St Martin le Grand, to meet a French World War 2 hero who saved York from burning to the ground.
Duration: 10 minutes
Pass By: The Roman Bath, 9 St. Sampsons Square, York YO1 8RN England
We will conclude our tour outside the Roman Bath Museum with some warming tales of Roman baths and fires.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 30 travelers
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Our Walks are entirely outdoors, and we follow the latest UK Government guidance on working safely during coronavirus (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-covid-19/events-and-attractions).
- An on-foot tour of York led by an expert guide
The Roman Bath, 9 St Sampsons Square, York YO1 8RN, UK
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the York Hidden History Walks in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.