Restaurants in Edinburgh: things to know before you go
Before you dig in to our restaurant deals, here’s all your burning questions answered on Edinburgh eating.
What are the best restaurants in central Edinburgh?
Whether you’re catching a show, or giving yourself some retail therapy, stop for a break and refuel in some of the top restaurants in Edinburgh. Check out our top picks:
- For fancy flavours and fine dining, Number One is a Michelin-starred restaurant set in the iconic Balmoral Hotel. Feast on fine Scottish ingredients and marvel at the meals lovingly prepared for you.
- For a juicy hunk of meat, Miller & Carter claims to be the best steakhouse in Edinburgh. With 30-day aged scotch beef on the menu we can see why, but we’ll let you be the judge of that.
- For fuss-free fine dining, No11 is set in a scenic old Georgian building. It serves up fresh Scottish produce in a variety of menu options including the five-course tasting menu, featuring sumptuous ceviche of seabass and lamb loin.
What are the best Italian restaurants in Edinburgh?
You don’t have to travel as far as the Mediterranean for a delicious and authentic bowl of pasta. Edinburgh has some of the best Italian restaurants dotted around the city.
- Laconda da Gusti is a homely little restaurant serving the flavours of Naples. Enjoy the generous portions, buzzy atmosphere and licking that sauce off your plate.
- Papavero cooks up stone baked pizza and handmade pasta, with some Scottish classics alongside for a local twist.
- Sasso Bar & Cucina indulges in the usual suspects with delicious pasta, and pizza, elevated with Scottish ingredients like scotch beef and Shetland mussels.
What are the best cheap places to eat in Edinburgh?
When hunger calls and the purse strings are tight, here are some of our top cheap eateries:
- Wok this way for the Red Box noodle bar, who sizzle up simple noodle dishes for under £10.
- Feast on finger-licking chicken at Wings with a menu full of, you guessed it, chicken wings. Choose from countless toppings and servings, to take the flavoursome up another notch.
- The Bushwick Bar & Grill is a fuss-free burger joint, with the naughtiest American cuisine to wrap your chops around.
What restaurants can I find in George Street, Edinburgh?
Edinburgh’s many mazing little streets come alive at sundown with music and the buzz of the restaurant rush and the indie cafe scene. Here’s a couple worth visiting on George Street.
- The Printing Press Bar & Kitchen is bursting with local produce served in a very stylish setting, casting a jaunty nod to Edinburgh’s literary heritage.
- The Hard Rock Café rustles up all the usual suspects with burgers, fajitas and sticky ribs that never disappoint. The quirky décor and sumptuous servings mean it’s always a favourite with Groupon users.
- Fazenda is always a carnivore’s classic, with succulent cuts of just about anything delivered straight to your table via means of its unique gaucho system. The vegetarian options are tops, too.