From Our Editors
Michelham Priory was established in 1229, during the reign of Henry III, and is set across seven acres of grounds. Like many religious sites, the Priory was dissolved under Henry VIII during the dissolution of the monasteries, as part of the backlash against traditional Catholicism. The church and part of the main building were demolished, and it was sold to private owners until the 20th Century. It has since been restored, and it is now open to visitors keen to learn of the Priory's turbulent past. There is a replica Bronze Age roundhouse, children's play area and a cafe and gift shop, as well as a working watermill and forge.