What You'll Get
Outside our ticket office on the Royal Mile your entertaining, charismatic guide and storyteller will start by welcoming you on the tour and introducing their historical character. Learn cooking skills from Cassandra Bean or surgical ethics from Dr Knox. Once you’re acquainted they will lead you through the upper half of the Old Town, around St Giles Cathedral, showing the sites of the city’s former parliament and infamous jail.
After crossing George IV Bridge the next part of the tour takes place in Greyfriars Kirkyard. Inside this decidedly sinister, 400 year old cemetery you will hear of its famously loyal dog, petrifying poltergeists as well as the notorious bodysnatchers and serial killers – Burke and Hare.
For the last part of the tour follow your guide to the underground, a section of a former seventeenth-century close absorbed into South Bridge when it was constructed. See bridge arches from the 1700s, walls and doorways from former houses and the modern pavement (with people walking over you) through our skylight. This old street has had many inhabitants through the centuries but some have not seen their own deaths as a reason to depart… The tour ends with your guide leading you out of the underground and back to our ticket office.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- 75 Minute evening walking tour of Edinburgh’s Old Town and South Bridge vaults.
- Guide plays a real, distinct and infamous character from Scotland’s history.
- Walk through the Old Town’s distinctive closes, wynds and secluded squares.
- Visit the world-famous, eerie, unforgettable Greyfriars Kirkyard.
- Hear terrifying stories of hauntings, murders, executions and cannibalism.
- 6.45pm Evening tour is suitable for families.
- Travel back in time and descend into our section of underground street.
- No under 5s
1 hour 15 minutes
Returns to original departure point
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
The tour identified in this promotion is made available through Viator. Groupon is not affiliated with or sponsored by the City of Edinburgh Tours in connection with this deal. Please contact Groupon customer service for all inquiries related to this offer. Inquiries placed to Viator will be directed back to Groupon.
This offer is not eligible for promo codes.
The Fine Print
14-day cancellation rights do not apply; no refunds or exchanges permitted. Voucher valid only for date and time listed; may not be exchanged or redeemed for other dates. Purchaser name and phone number must be provided at checkout; this information will be shared with Viator and the tour operator for purposes of order fulfillment. Groupon promo codes may not be used for this offer. Groupon voucher Terms of Sale do not apply. See the tour operator's terms and conditions for this offer here.