Italian restaurants in Birmingham: things to know before you go
Got a craving to sate your taste buds at an Italian restaurant? We’ve got you covered with answers to all your pressing questions about pizza, pasta and all things Italian in the UK’s second city.
Where can I eat authentic Italian food in Birmingham?
Birmingham might be better known for its plethora of excellent Indian restaurants, but lovers of Italian food are well served here, both by the big names and chains and by the small indies.
- Bardolino one of Birmingham’s best Italian restaurants. It’s a Marco Pierre White spot located in The Club & Spa in The Cube; named for the northern Italian town where the chef’s mother was born. He used to spend time in the town as a child, hanging out in a delicatessen owned by his family. This rustic tradition is reflected in the mouth-watering casual dining on offer, with freshly filled pasta, stone-baked sourdough pizza and a brunch menu to die for.
- La Vera was named in The Guardian’s top 10 budget restaurants in Birmingham and a 2016 Italian Award runner-up. It specialises in pizza made in a wood-fired oven and served just how it’s meant to be – thin as paper, nice and charred on the bottom.
What is the best type of pizza in Birmingham?
Pizza’s popularity across the globe means that pizza restaurants have spread like wildfire in Birmingham. With so many different base styles and toppings available, you’ll have to try a few to discover your favourite. You’ll typically find these delicious delights on the menu:
- Neapolitan – the classic and arguably most authentic pizza on which all others are based. They’re thin and supple with a tomato base (a purist will tell you they must be either San Marzano tomatoes or Roma tomatoes) and a healthy dash of mozzarella.
- Sicilian – popular in New York, this type of pizza is served as a thick, rectangular slice.
- Chicago Deep Dish – not one you get all that often in Birmingham (or the UK in general) but you can find it among some street food vendors. It has a deep, buttery crust that allows for a lot of filling.
Are there many cheap Italian restaurants in Birmingham?
There are plenty of cheap Italian restaurants in Birmingham city centre and beyond.
La Vera is one of the city’s most popular budget Italians. With pizza and pasta dishes starting at around £6, you’ll be keeping those purse strings tight while keeping that belt loose.
Birmingham also has some great chains serving up good food at low prices. Chains like Bella Pasta and Pizza Express are also great places to keep an eye on to get the best restaurants deals in Birmingham, given that they often show up with deals on Groupon.
Where can I get halal pizza in Birmingham?
All the pizzas served at La Vera are halal, making it a safe bet for anyone on a Halal-only diet. Another option in the city is Pizza Express. You’re a little more restricted there, as only the chicken pizzas are halal – but that still leaves you with a good number of choices to try out.