Italian restaurants in Liverpool: things to know before you go
Liverpool has some of the best authentic Italian restaurants in the UK. Find all the most frequently asked questions answered here.
Which is the best Italian restaurant in Liverpool?
Whether you are looking to dine out as a family or you’re couple on the hunt for something cosy and romantic, you’re spoilt for choice with so many types of cuisine and restaurants in Liverpool. With the majority of Italian restaurants located in Little Italy you can easily stumble upon an Italian after a shopping spree at Liverpool ONE, or before a night out in one of the city’s many world-class bars.
Groupon users have voted these three below as the best-selling Italian restaurants in Liverpool:
- Jamie’s Italian – located in the heart of the city, Jamie’s Italian whips up all your classic favourites with a sprinkle of finesse. Plus, there’s some top of the range wines and beers to wash it down with.
- Bella Italia – ideal if you’ve got the kids with you or just fancy indulging in some of the classics. Tuck into a humble spag bol or a pizza pollo funghi and be sure to save room for a scrumptious dessert.
- Ma Egerton’s Stage Door – inspired by Hollywood, here you can enjoy a Marilyn Monroe or Charlie Chaplin pizza, before or after you enjoy a musical or play in the theatre district. Did somebody say date night?
Where can I taste the most authentic Italian cuisine?
From premier dining destinations to family owned trattorias, Liverpool’s authentic Italian scene is booming. Here’s where to head to devour carbs, carbs and more carbs:
- Il Forno - situated on Duke Street, Il Forno is a family-run restaurant serving up dishes just like mamma made them. With Italian chefs, it boasts creative classics, such as wood-fired pizzas and creamy pasta dishes with fresh seafood also available.
- Cafe Latino – a hidden gem located next to Liverpool Central Station, Café Latino is a much-loved Italian restaurant on Bold Street, this is the perfect place to refuel after a long day of shopping with a tasty plate of fresh pasta.
- Casa Italia – with rustic décor and stunning Italian flavours wafting through the air, Casa Italia offers a real authentic experience with delicious homemade recipes that have been served by the family since 1976. Promise us one thing: save us a seat at the table.
What are the most popular Italian dishes?
If you are after some comfort food, or something to satisfy the whole family, these Italian dishes are considered the most popular:
- Spaghetti bolognese - a good old spag bol is loved by people of all ages. All you need is mincemeat, a tomato sauce, and heaps of spaghetti. Throw in some garlic bread for good measure and garnish with a hell of a lot of parmesan.
- Margherita pizza – cheese, tomato and a sprinkle of oregano – simples!
- Lasagne – layers of pasta, mincemeat and melted cheese on top, lasagne is hearty and filling, making it a classic fave.
What can I expect from Italian dining in Liverpool?
Italian dining in restaurants is all about leisurely enjoying the food and the company. It’s one of the most relaxed, casual and welcoming dining experiences you can find and in Liverpool city centre. You can expect the experience of dining at an Italian restaurant to be:
- Family orientated. Expect to become part of the family, all the way from the in-jokes to downing the group shot of limoncello at the end.
- Wine-fuelled. As the world’s largest producer of wine, it is no surprise that Italian food is best served with a glass of Italian wine. Bottoms up.
- Hearty meals. From the classic staples like spaghetti Bolognese to signature dishes carbs are the order of the day, there are no complaints here.
- Fresh flavours. Italian food is rarely spicy, instead fresh, herb flavors are mostly used – so be ready for a gargantuan amount of garlic.