Haircuts in London: things to know before you go
As the fashion capital of the UK, you’re never far from your perfect new haircut in London, whether you’re nipping out of the office for a quick lunchtime trim or spending your Saturday in the salon pampering yourself. Below, we’ve answered some of the most common questions about finding your ideal style.
What are the best haircuts for my face shape?
Finding the perfect haircut isn’t just about knowing what’s in style – it’s important to also take into account what suits you best. Here are some top tips for matching your haircut to your face shape.
- Round face: Whether you want to frame the shape of your face, or slim it, here are 25 haircut ideas to enhance the fullness of your face, or sculpt those killer cheekbones.
- Long face: There’s no shortage of hairstyles which suit those with long faces. Medium to long hairstyles tend to be the most flattering, but stylists recommend steering clear of anything that adds more height and volume to the top of your hair.
- Oval face: The hairdressers’ dream, oval faces are revered as the most versatile, with only a few styles that are hard to pull off. Go bold and choose a short chop this year, from blunt bobs to wavy pixie cut.
How often should you get your haircut?
Getting your haircut is a real treat, but how often you should visit the salon will depend on the style you plump for.
- For long locks hair stylists recommend cutting off about half an inch every ten weeks to get rid of split ends, without shortening the length too much.
- Pixie cuts and bobs need to be cut every four to six weeks, because they’ll lose their shape quicker.
- Curly hair, will only need a few visits a year because curls shrink when they’re cut.
What are the best haircuts for women?
In the age of influencers, it’s impossible to turn around without seeing a style icon you want to emulate, but what are the most iconic haircuts you should be aspiring to?
- The Jen: Ever since her iconic portrayal on Friends, Jennifer Anniston has been giving us all hair envy. The ultimate busy city girl, get that gorgeous beachy blonde tousled hair for yourself.
- The Halle Berry: Many have tried over the years, but no one works the ‘pixie’ cut better than Catwoman herself, with her effortless short do being refined and adapted over the years.
- The Duchess: Timeless is the order of the day for Kate, whose shoulder length waves are as iconic today as they were on the day she walked down the aisle.
What are the best haircuts for men?
From football royalty to music icons, men’s haircuts are a huge style trend influenced heavily by those in the public eye. Here are a few of the most iconic.
- Trend it like Beckham: No one has had more impact when it comes to stylish men’s haircuts than David Beckham. From his era-defining buzz cut to the sleek taper look (and even, briefly, the Mohawk), when it comes to the best haircuts for men, start by looking to football’s fashion icon for inspiration.
- In a tangle: Curly hair doesn’t have to be a curse. Look to uber-stylish One Direction star Harry Styles for some subtle style tips.
- Modern quiff: The pompadour haircut is a versatile choice for men, easily adapted to a range of hair types and lengths. Choose between classic, short, modern, or textured styles when you next visit the barbers.