Cafés in Liverpool: things to know before you go
Liverpool has cafés of all different shapes and sizes providing you with your coffee fix. Find all the frequently asked questions answered here.
Where is the best place for a coffee in Liverpool?
Bold Street is the most cosmopolitan choice to make a beacon for coffee shops. Right by Liverpool Central Station you’ll find Café Latino. Serving up scrumptious breakfasts, sandwiches, salads and cake alongside some of the finest coffee this side of Milan. Fantastico!
Whether you’re heading to work in town and looking for a caffeine boost, a light lunch by the Albert Dock with a friend, or an indulgent slice of cake to reward yourself with after a long day, Liverpool has charming cafés adorning every street.
Which Liverpool café is the best option for vegetarians and vegans?
One of the reasons Liverpool is so prime for a food and drink tour is its range of options for everyone. This includes a broad range of cafés for vegetarians and vegans. To find the best one for you, take a look at:
- Groupon bestsellers – there’s nothing better than reviews from our very own customers to tell you whether somewhere is worth visiting or not. Take a look at some of our top sellers to find favourites like the Blenheim Lakeside Hotel and the Hilton Liverpool, where you’ll find scrumptious vegan and vegetarian dishes.
- Critics’ reviews – the Guardian’s Jay Rayner gives his expert opinion on some of the best cafés in Liverpool, restaurants and eateries that are sure to help you make your mind up.
Where is the best place for afternoon tea in Liverpool?
While football may divide Liverpudlians between red and blue, one thing unites us: the regular craving for a cup of tea. Here are some of the best places to grab afternoon tea in Liverpool.
- The Richmond Hotel – delightful freshly baked scones, a selection of the finest fruit teas and bubbles – this is an afternoon tea for those who like the finer things in life. Chin-chin.
- Fodder – tea, cake and a slice of culture for extra measure. Fodder allows you to soak up some of the history of Liverpool while sipping up the best of brews.
- Crosby Tea Rooms – perfect for those who don’t enjoy the pomp and ceremony that comes with afternoon tea, Crosby Tea Rooms is a dog-friendly café located in Waterloo where you can enjoy all of the best bits of afternoon tea without all the finery.
What are the main types of coffee I can order in a Liverpool café?
Flat white? Macchiato? Choco chino? Ordering coffee these days can be a minefield with so many different types of coffee to choose from. The main types of coffee you’re likely to find in the best cafés in Liverpool are:
- Macchiato - espresso with a dollop of steamed milk and foam.
- Americano - espresso with added hot water.
- Latte - espresso with a lot of steamed milk and foam.
- Cappuccino - espresso with a bit of steamed milk, foam and chocolate sprinkles.
- Flat white - same as cappuccino just minus the foam and chocolate.
- Mocha - espresso with added chocolate powder, steamed milk and foam.