Colour and highlights in Manchester: things to know before you go
If you’re worried about walking out of the hairdressing salon with a look you didn’t want, you may want to brush up on your colour and highlights knowledge with our quick Q&A. Find the best colour and highlights near you.
What’s the difference between highlights and a colour?
The main difference between highlights and colour is the amount of hair which is dyed.
Simply put, a colour treatment is an all-over dye in which all of your hair colour will be changed entirely. Highlights, on the other hand, are usually applied to sections of the hair, rather than all over, to give your hair a different effect. Highlights will also usually be a lighter colour than your current colour of hair.
What are the different types of highlights?
When choosing to get highlights, you will usually have the choice of either all over highlights or half a head of highlights.
If you’re having trouble deciding, your hair colouring specialist will be on hand to help, but here’s the low-down on the two different styles:
- Half head highlights: This treatment refers to the application of highlights to the top layer of hair. A few strands may be applied on the side and around the back, but it usually won’t be applied underneath. This treatment is a quicker method, usually taking around 1-2 hours.
- Full head highlights: Exactly the same as above, except the highlights will also be applied to the lower layers. This is the preferred method if you often tie up your hair.
Will highlights and colours damage my hair?
Too much of any treatment can damage your hair and highlights and colours are no exception.
That’s why it’s super important to keep your hair healthy through proper treatments. Many of our vouchers in Manchester offer additional treatments alongside the colour or highlighting treatment. For example, at Mai Salon, you’ll receive a deep cleanse which helps to keep hair healthy.
How can I keep my hair healthy?
Keeping your crowning glory healthy after getting it dyed can be tricky, so here’s some of our top tips to a happy hair life:
- Know your hair: Hair comes in all sorts of wonderful shapes and sizes and all of it is glorious. But it’s important to know that what works for someone else’s hair may not work well for you. Take the time to research your hair type, so you can learn how to appropriately treat your own personal gloriousness after your next haircut and colour.
- Use the right products: The shampoo aisle can sometimes seem like a foreign country, with countless unfamiliar words and phrases. Rather than getting overwhelmed and panic buying – we’ve all been there – make sure you’re getting the right products. It’s also important to ensure you find the best hair colour salon in Manchester for you, to find the best quality products for your hair type.
- Be Healthy: Healthy hair is not just down to what shampoo you’re using, it’s grown by a healthy body, so make sure you’re looking after all of you in terms of your health and fitness. You can look to start boosting your fitness levels and kickstart a more active lifestyle by joining a gym.